Introduction: How to Make Potato Roti Flatbread
In this instructable I will show you how you can make potato roti. Roti can be made in different ways. In a previous instructable I have showed how to make roti with Dahl filling. Making roti with potato is much easier than making roti with Dahl and quite as delicious.
To make potato roti you only need three ingredients: potatos, flour and vegetable oil for brushing. Nothing else. You can add some salt if you like.
Start by peeling the potato’s and dice them in small pieces to speed up the cooking process. I took a very crumbly, high starch potato. Once the potatoes are cooked mash them with e.g. a fork in a big bowl.
When the potato is mashed add one cup of flour (I use wheat flour but all-purpose will work just fine). Then combine and add another ½ cup of flour. Take the dough out of the bowl and knead the dough thoroughly and add the remaining ½ cup of flour. Knead until you have a consistent dough. Brush the dough with some vegetable oil and wrap the bowl with some thin foil and let it rest for 1 hour.
Bake these roti’s in a skillet, a normal baking pan can work also but a skillet will get so much hotter that is why I prefer using it. Heat a skillet on high heat before you cut the dough into small pieces about the size of a golf ball. You will get about 7 pieces. Roll into a roti and bake the roti in the skillet on high heat without oil. Cook for about a minute, flip and cook the other side. Then take the roti out of pan and keep warm.
You can eat the potato roti with for example a delicious yellow chickpea curry (see instructable).
Step 1: Watch One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the potato roti flatbread? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
To make seven roti's you need the following ingredients:
- 4 potatoes (approx 600 grams)
- 2 cups of flour (wheat flour)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (for brushing the dough)
You can add a pinch of salt if you like.
Step 3: Instructions
- Peeling, dice and boil the potato's until soft.
- Drain and mash the potatoes.
- Add 1 cup of flour and stir through the potatoes.
- Add another ½ cup of flour and combine thoroughly.
- 5 Put dough on a floured surface and add the last ½ cup of flour and knead the dough until elastic.
- Then put in a bowl and brush with oil before wrapping with cling film and let it rest for 1 hour.
- Heat skillet before taking the dough out of the bowl and knead one more time before cutting it in size of golf balls (approx 7).
- Roll the dough into a roti and bake in the hot skillet (no oil). Flip and bake the other side.
- Take out of the pan and keep warm.
Step 4: Notes
If you want to store them, these deep freeze really well so you can make a batch and store for future use.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortill Channel.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.