Introduction: How to Make Pulled Chicken Tortilla Bean Stew Filling
In this instruction I show you how to make pulled chicken tortilla bean stew filling. Would you believe if I told you that it is every easy to make? The fun part is that the stove is doing all the hard work. All you need is a little patiences. Chicken is without a doubt one of my favorite foods. It is for to most part very lean, it is a great source of protein, very versatile and it tastes great with herbs and spices.
A full instruction and downloadable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.
For this recipe I used chicken breast but you can also use chicken thighs with or without bones. In any case the chicken is cooked without the skin. Chicken breast shreds very easily that is why I use it. If you decide to use chicken thighs with bones the cooking time will increase because it takes longer to get it of the bone. To give the dish more flavour I used chicken stock but it is not a necessity. I use the chicken stock in the stew as well so do not throw it away when you are done cooking the chicken.
Like every recipe this one can’t do without some peppers, onion and garlic. If you like spicy you can add hot peppers or Sriracha saus (it is my go to). Make a big batch in one go and put it in the freezer. If you store it in the refrigerator overnight it tastes even better.
I serve the pulled chicken bean stew filling with the aromatic Basmati rice and the home made corn flower tortillas. It can also be served with taco’s, flour tortillas or just rice.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 200 grams chicken breast
- ⅓ chicken stock cube
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 pepper
- 2 tablespoon of sunflower oil
- 1 small tin of tomato puree
- 1 tin of kidney beans (250 grams)
- 1 tablespoon of Sriracha sauce or hot peppers (if you like it spicy)
- 2 home made corn tortillas (you can find a recipe on The Tortilla Channel)
Step 2: Instructions
- Bring water to the boil and crumble the chicken stock cube in the water.
- Add the chicken breast to the boiling water and cook for 25 minutes and a shimmering heat.
- Take the chicken out of the boiling water and shred it using two forks.
- Finely dice the onion, pepper and garlic.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a Dutch oven on medium to high heat and fry the onion, pepper and garlic.
- Add the tomato puree and a cup of chicken stock.
- If you like spicy you can add the hot peppers or Sriracha now.
- Then add the shredded chicken and stir thoroughly before adding the kidney beans.
- Let the stew shimmer for at least another 20-25 minutes before serving.
Step 3: Notes
Wash the Basmati rice thoroughly and cook it in a rice cooker. During the cooking process water will evaporate so add chicken stock or water if necessary.