Introduction: How to Make Red Hot Tex-Mex Rice
In this instructable I will show you how to make red hot Tex-Mex rice. Red hot Tex-Mex rice is a perfect side dish that you can serve with some great tortillas or tacos, like my Veggie Frenzy Stir-fry Tacos (see instructable).
To make the Tex-Mex rice we use long grain Basmati rice.The Basmati rice takes in total about 20 minutes to get cooked. The trick is to not drown your rice with a lot of water. So the ratio of water to rice should be about 2 to 1 or even 1½ to 1 ratio. If you put in too much water it will not cook dry and it will get very sticky. Beside Basmati rice you need some vegetable oil, half an onion, garlic, vegetable stock, sieved tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, spring onion, Chili powder and cumin. That is all.
When you cook the red hot tex-mex rice do not over heat the pan. I se a non stick pan to prevent the rice from sticking to the pan to quickly. I fry the onion and garlic first until they are soft and translucent, then I add the rice. Just as with risotto the rice has to absorb the oil. So stir continuously before adding the sieved tomatoes. Again stir through before adding the stock and spring onion. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Then you can add the tomatoes and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir again before the rice is totally set. You can put a lit on the pan but I usually do not use a lit.
You can make the Text-Mex rice as hot as you want it to be. If you like a really spicy rice you can add a Chili pepper, hot sauce or more chili powder. This dish fits a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle.
Step 1: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make red hot tex-mex rice? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 1 cup of Basmati rice.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- 1½- 2 cups of vegetable stock or water.
- ½ onion.
- 1 glove of garlic.
- 1 spring onion finely chopped.
- 150 grams of cherry tomatoes.
- ½-¾ cup of sieved tomatoes.
- ½ teaspoon cumin.
- ½ teaspoon Chili powder (if you like it more spicy you can use 1 tsp Chili powder).
Step 3: Instructions
- Heat the pan to medium heat.
- Add the vegetable oil to the pan and let it warm through.
- Fry the onions and garlic until soft and translucent.
- Next the rice. Stir the rice thoroughly so it can absorb the oil and liquids from the onion and garlic.
- Now add the sieved tomatoes while stirring the rice.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring it slowly to a boil while adding the chili powder and cumin.
- Let this boil shortly before adding the spring onions.
- Finally add the cherry tomatoes.
- Simmer for 15 minutes on medium heat. Stir through after about 5 minutes.
- Stir loose after 15 minutes with a fork.
Step 4: Notes
If the water or stock drains to fast (water is gone after less than 5 minutes) the heat is to high turn the heat down to medium. Add some water and stir through. If the rice is not dry after 15 minutes you might have used to much stock or water. Just leave the rice on longer so it can dry. Do not turn the heat up to high as it will only fry the bottom of the rice. The rice needs time to evaporate the excess liquids. You can add a lit to the pan (I do hardly use it only to keep it warm when the rest of the meal is not ready yet). Rice stores great in the refrigerator in an airtight storage container. First let it cool down completely outside of the refrigerator before you store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.