Step 1: Set It Up
- thread/yarn (cotton, bamboo, something soft and strong)
- board with nail in it or something suitable to hold your strands for you as you work (bulldog clips over a table edge, a door handle, a mate, whatever you have lying around)
Step 2: Make It Happen
1. Cut 18 lengths of strand the same length (however long you need, remember the length will shorten as it's twisted), bunch them in 3 lots of 6 strands
2. Tie a knot in one end of each bunch
3. Use a nail in a board (or whatever you have) to hold one bunch steady while you twist the 6 strands clockwise.
4. Twist until the combined strands are at a desired look (firm, even, not twisting back on itself too much when you loosen the tension)
5. Place a knot in the other end and hold it steady (I tucked mine under the board) whilst you twist the other 2 sections.
6. Hold all 3 twisted and knotted strand sections carefully together and twist them together the OPPOSITE way than they were previously twisted (anticlockwise). Knot off each end and you have your rope.