Introduction: How to Make Scallion Pancakes
Who doesn't like a good flatbread? In this Instructables I'm going to show you how to make these scallion pancakes. Super easy and require only a few ingredients to make, they make a great appetizer or a side dish to complement your dinner party. Your guests will devour these and the aroma when cooking these will make your salivate!
FYI: Scallions are also called green onions or spring onions and give these pancakes a really nice taste.
Step 1: Ingredients
You will need:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- Some warm water
- Vegetable oil (canola, corn, or any neutral tasting oil)
- 1/2 cup diced scallions also called green onions
- Black vinegar or;
- Balsamic vinegar or;
- Red wine vinegar
- Hot sauce or paste (optional)
Step 2: Video
Here is a video that shows how to make the scallion pancakes including how to roll them out. Consider subscribing to my youtube channel too. The written directions follow:
Step 3: Preparing the Dough
- Start by heating 2 cups of water in the microwave for about a minute, just to warm it, I measured it and it was around 50C (122F).
- Measure out 2 cups of flour into a large bowl.
- Add in 1 teaspoon of salt and mix.
Add a 1/4 cup of water to the flour and stir to combine. Keep adding a little water at a time and stirring the dough until it starts becoming sticky and working into a ball of dough. You are looking for a dough consistency that is sticky and not dry. Start working it with your hands to make sure the dough is combined. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
Step 4: Dice the Scallions
While the dough is resting, use the time to dice the scallions. You want lots of scallions, for 2 cups of flour you want around 1 cup of diced.
Step 5: Making the Scallion Pancakes
This is the part that takes the most time but once you do a few it gets much quicker. After letting the dough rest for 20 minutes.
- Flour the counter with lots of flour, that is the key to keeping the dough from sticking to the counter, rolling pin and hands.
- Tear off a piece of dough, the size is up to you and the size of your frying pan
- For 2 cups of flour I get about 6 pancakes. You can divide them up into equal pieces if you want to make sure they are all the same size.
- Start by flouring the top of the dough and flatten with your hands or rolling pin. Start rolling the dough out until it's around 1/8" thick and in the shape of a circle.
- Brush some vegetable oil over the surface and then add a generous amount of scallions evenly over the dough.
- Roll the circle of dough into a tube.
- Roll the tube into a spiral, just like a pinwheel or cinnamon bun.
- Flatten the spiral and roll it flat until, dust with flour if you find the dough sticking.
- Set aside on a pan between sheets of plastic wrap and repeat with the rest of the dough.
Step 6: Frying the Scallion Pancakes
- Using a large frying pan (I like using a wok), heat it over medium high heat.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with some vegetable oil.
- Once the pan is hot, add the pancake and let it fry for a minute. Check every so often to see if it is browning.
- Flip and fry the opposite side for a minute. If the pan is hot, it should only take a few minutes to cook each pancake.
- You want nice dark blisters to form on the pancake.
- Set aside and keep warm in a oven set to 250F while the rest of the pancakes are cooking.
- Repeat with the rest of the pancakes.
Step 7: Making the Dipping Sauce
The dipping sauce I like to use is a vinegar based one but you can use your own sauce.
Black vinegar, red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar are all nice to try and have their own flavors. So experiment and put a few types out for people to try.
I like adding some chilli peppers or chilli paste to the vinegar. If you like, you can also add some oil with the vinegar.
Step 8: Serving
Serve them whole or cut into wedges and serve with the dipping sauce. They make great finger food!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.