Introduction: How to Make South West Smokey BBQ Turkey Burgers
The summer and warmer weather means many positive things to many people. But, to me, one of the things that I get most excited about is barbequing.
For those of us that like to cook, barbequing means that we get to escape cooking indoors and enjoy it in the great outdoors. Or, in your backyard or on a balcony in the big city, where prohibited. Either way, you get to enjoy the warm weather and sunshine while whipping up some of your favourite recipes.
Barbequing is also great because you can cook just about ANYTHING on them. Whether it be hot dogs, corn on the cob, roasted veggies or kabobs – the list is endless and there’s something for everyone.
For me, though, one recipe that I absolutely love bringing to life on the BBQ is my South West Smokey BBQ Turkey Burgers. I initially experimented with this recipe about 4 years ago on a frying pan in the kitchen, and my husband, friends and family were obsessed! Since then, I have migrated them to the BBQ and this method of cooking compliments the smokey BBQ, South Western flavor oh so well. With the addition of the BBQ, I can now say that this recipe has been perfected and is ready for sharing!
It is important to note that this recipe is also highly customizable. For example, I choose to use extra lean ground turkey however, you can most definitely substitute this for regular ground turkey, ground chicken (regular or lean) or ground beef (also, regular or lean).
So, I’ll now cease my proclamation of love for this recipe and get on with sharing it with you all below. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Step 1: Ingredients
· 2 lbs of extra-lean ground turkey
· 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
· ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese
· ½ cup of Diana Sauce: Western Smokehouse
· 1/3 cup of bread crumbs
· 1 egg (including yolk)
· 1/3 of white or yellow onion (chopped into small pieces)
· 3 cloves of garlic (chopped into small pieces)
· 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
· 1 avocado
· Smoked Jarlsberg cheese (brick or slices)
· Green onion (chopped into small pieces)
· Jalapeno buns (or another soft bun of your liking)
· Chipotle mayo
Step 2: Instructions
1. Put all 2 lbs of extra-lean ground turkey in a large mixing bowl and add:
o 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
o ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese
o 1/3 cup of bread crumbs
o 1 egg (including yolk)
2. Mix with an egg beater or hands until all ingredients are blended with extra-lean ground turkey
3. Add the following ingredients:
o ½ cup of Diana Sauce: Western Smokehouse
o 1/3 of white or yellow onion (chopped into small pieces)
o 3 cloves of garlic (chopped into small pieces)
o 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
4. Mix with hands until everything is blended together
5. Pre-heat BBQ to medium (or equivalent) setting
6. Using your hands, roll and flatten burger mixture into patties of your desired diameter and thickness (I usually make about 6-7 burgers)
7. Place burgers on BBQ grill and cook approximately 5 minutes on each side, and with the lid closed to promote smokey flavor
8. Feel free to brush on some more Diana Sauce: Western Smokehouse while the burgers are cooking, if you like a more saucy texture / flavour
9. Since BBQs can vary make sure to check on your burgers often – they are “done” when they are nice and charbroiled on each side
10. DO NOT OVERCOOK! Or the burgers will be dry. You want them cooked, but still juicy and moist on the inside
11. When burgers are almost done (about 5 minutes left), place jalapeno buns on top rack of BBQ, and flip after a couple of minutes to ensure they are lightly toasted on each side
12. When burgers are a minute or two away from being done, turn off BBQ and place smoked Jarlesberg cheese slices on top of burger; close BBQ lid and let melt for a minute or two
13. Open lid and remove burgers and buns from BBQ and place burgers on top of buns,on a plate
14. Serve with chopped green onions (sprinkled on top of cheese), mashed (spread underneath top bun) or sliced avocado and chipotle mayo
15. Eat and enjoy!