Introduction: How to Make Spicy Oven Baked Corn Tortilla Chips
In this instructable, I will show you how to make spicy oven baked corn tortilla chips. These tortilla chips make you want to come back for more again and again. They are so easy to make and only takes you about 15 minutes, so great for the weekend. Best of all you can flavour them anyway you like. Chili? Oh yes. Paprika? Yum. Salt? We got ya covered. Cheese? No problem.
So how do we start? First of all we need some good quality corn tortillas. You can use store bought ones but as it so easy to make corn tortillas (see instructable How to make corn tortillas) I use home made corn tortillas. You can add your own flavours to this base recipe for corn tortillas and add e.g. dried tomato’s, chili peppers, jalapeño peppers, chives or onion. The options are really endless.
A full instruction and printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.
Step 1: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- Good quality (home made) corn tortillas (see instructable How to make this)
- Cooking spray or vegetable oil
- Spices like chili and paprika powder
Step 2: Instructions
- Pre heat the oven at 435 ℉ (225 ℃).
- Take 4 corn tortillas, stack them and cut them in half.
- Take the halved tortillas and cut them in 4 part wedges.
- Put a baking sheet on a baking tray.
- Put the tortilla chips and put them on a baking tray.
- Spray with cooking spray.
- Put baking tray in the oven for 15 minutes (extend if the chips are not nicely browned). Flip the wedges half way through the cooking time.
- Take the tortilla chips out of the oven and sprinkle with spices immediately (front and back).
Step 3: Notes
Let the tortilla chips cool down to let them go nice and crispy. Store in a ziplock bag so they do not go stale.
Normally tortilla chips are deep fried in oil which makes it really tasty but also gives it loads of extra fat. To keep it low fat I use this little trick. After cutting the tortilla in small wedges I put them on a baking tray and use cooking spray to cover the chips with a small coat of oil. You can also spray the whole tortillas first (front and back) before cutting them in wedges. If you do not have cooking spray you can use some sunflower/vegetable oil and put on the tortillas using a brush.
Step 4: Watch the One Minute Video
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.