Introduction: How to Make Thanksgiving Rice Casserole
Most Americans do not think of rice as a part of a Thanksgiving meal. This particular rice casserole recipe is one that has the particular taste, smell, and texture that will quickly remind anyone of a typical Thanksgiving meal. This recipe is quick and easy to make because of the small amount of ingredients, tools, and time needed for the creation of this Thanksgiving showstopper. The following set of instructions will guide you through step by step on how to make this delicious rice.
Step 1: Ingredients and Utensils
For this rice recipe you will need the following ingredients:
- 6 tablespoons of salted or unsalted butter
Note: You may use a stick of butter instead of measure for 6 tablespoons.
- 1 small onion
- 1 green pepper
- ½ tablespoon of garlic salt
- 2 cups of white rice
Note: 1 or 3 cups of white rice can be added instead of 1 cup depending on how much rice you would like to serve.
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 can of chicken broth
- ¾ cup of water
You will also need the following Utensils:
- 9 by 13 inch glass pan
- Cutting board
- Frying pan
- Wooden Spoon
Step 2: Chop Up Onion and Green Pepper
1. Chop your onion on the cutting board first.
Note: Cutting up an onion may be painful to your eyes so it is best to get that over with as soon as you can.
2. Grab 2 regular sized cereal bowls to separate the chopped onion and green pepper.
3. Put chopped onion in one bowl and then start chopping up the green pepper.
4. Put chopped green pepper in other bowl.
Step 3: Melt Butter in Frying Pan
1. Set stove up to 5 to properly melt the butter.
2. Drop stick of into butter into frying pan.
3. Use wooden spoon to aid the melting of the butter
Note: You may want to slide the stick of butter around the pan to also help aid the melting of the butter.
Step 4: Add Onion, Pepper, and Garlic Salt
1. Once butter is melted in frying pan, add chopped onions and stir with wooden spoon.
2. Add chopped green peppers right after you add the chopped onions and continue to stir.
3. Add ½ tablespoon of garlic salt and continue to stir and cook in frying pan until tender.
Step 5: Add Rice, Oregano, and Soy Sauce
1. Add 2 cups of white rice to the mixture.
2. Stir for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then add 1 teaspoon of Oregano.
3. Add 2 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce and continue to stir for 30 seconds.
4. Reduce heat of stove top to 2 and simmer.
5. Set timer for 10 minutes to let mixture cook.
Note: You may want to stir every 2 to 3 minutes so the entire mixture is cooked properly.
Step 6: Add Rice, Broth, and Water Into Glass Pan.
1. Spray glass pan with PAM or any other cooking oil spray.
2. Add rice mixure from skillet into glass pan.
3. Add chicken broth into glass pan with rice mixture.
4. Add water to the rice and chicken broth mixture.
Note: Steps 3 and 4 are interchangable. You can add water first or chicken broth first.
5. Spread mixture throughout pan and make sure it fills out the pan.
Step 7: Enter Rice Into Oven.
1. Once the rice mixture is spread correctly, cover the glass pan with tin foil.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees and put the pan on the top shelf of the oven.
3. Let the rice bake in oven for 1 hour.
4. Once the hour is up, remove rice from oven.
5. Remove tin foil from pan and your rice is ready to be served!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.