Introduction: How to Make Tortilla Caesar Salad
In this instructable I will show you how to make a majestic tortilla Caesar salad. In the original caesar salad there were only 8 ingredients. In this instructable I show you a nice version of the caesar salad with a tortilla twist. You can totally customise your version if you like.
The basic ingredients of the caesar salad are lettuce, oil, croutons, garlic, parmesan cheese, boiled egg, Worcestershire sauce and lemon. On top of that you can add ingredients like pan fried bacon, chicken, avocado and anchovies..As a twist I substitute tortilla for the croutons and made a tortilla bowl to hold the salad.
Step 1: Overview
The tortilla caesar salad is served in a tortilla cup. You can make this cup with a medium size tortilla and a muffin pan. Turn the muffin pan upside down and spray the tortilla with cooking spray (one tortilla per person). Then push the tortilla in between 4 muffin cups. Repeat for the second tortilla. Heat the oven at 350℉ / 175℃ and bake the tortillas for 15 minutes. Remove the tortilla bowls from the oven and let it cool.
While the tortilla bowls are in the oven take a chicken filet and flatten it with a rolling pin. Whisk an egg on a large plate. Add some breadcrumbs to another plate. Cover the chicken filet with egg and then with breadcrumbs. Then heat a frying pan with a big table spoon of coconut oil. Pan fry the chicken filet about 7-10 minutes on each side until well done. After Pan fry 4 strips of bacon.
Boil an egg for about 7 minutes and slice into small pieces to decorate the tortilla bowl. Lastly bake a tortilla in a hot pan until nice and crisp. Slice in to small squares as your croutons.
The caesar salad dressing is made by combining the following ingredients: mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, lemon, Worcestershire sauce, anchovies and thinly sliced Pepper to taste. Plate the dish and start with the tortilla bowl and add some salad. Then add Caesar salad dressing, add some anchovies and tortilla croutons. Slice the breaded chicken filet in small strips and divide across the two tortilla bowls. Add some more dressing and finish with some cheese. I like to use Old Amsterdam but you can use Parmesan as well.
Step 2: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the tortilla caesar salad? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 3: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
To make the salad bowl:
- 1 bag of mixed lettuce
- 2 eggs (1 boiled, 1 for the breaded chicken filet)
- 1 chicken filet 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 can of anchovies (50 gram)
- 4 strips of bacon
- 2 tortillas Cooking spray
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
For making the salad dressing:
- 4 tbsp of mayonnaise
- 1 tsp of mustard
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp of lemon
- 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 anchovy thinly sliced
- Pepper to taste
Step 4: Instructions
- Brush tortilla with cooking spray.
- Turn the muffin pan upside down and push the tortilla in between 4 muffin cups. Repeat for the second tortilla.
- Pre heat the oven at 350℉ / 175℃ and bake the tortillas for 15 minutes. Remove the tortilla bowls from the oven and let it cool.
- Flatten chicken filet and flatten it with a rolling pin.
- Pan fry 4 strips of bacon.
- Whisk an egg on a large plate.
- Add some breadcrumbs to another plate. Cover the chicken filet with egg and then with breadcrumbs.
- Heat a frying pan with 1 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Pan fry the chicken filet about 7-10 minutes on each side until well done. Turn regularly.
- Boil an egg for about 7 minutes and slice into small pieces to decorate the tortilla bowl.
- Bake the tortillas in a hot pan until nice and crisp.
- Slice into small squares as croutons.
- For the dressing: Combine mayonnaise, mustard, minced garlic, lemon, Worcestershire sauce, anchovy and pepper to taste. Stir until well combined dressing.
- Plate salad by adding lettuce, dressing, anchovies, bacon, tortilla croutons and egg in the tortilla bowl.
- Ready to serve.
Step 5: Notes
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.