Chocolate turtle cupcakes with a turtle surprise on the inside and a cute sugar turtle on top! Definitely a decadent chocolate cupcake to be enjoyed with a tall glass of milk!
Step 1: Recipe - Chocolate Turtle Cupcakes
You'll need two recipes to make these cupcakes - the chocolate turtle cupcakes themselves, and the chocolate buttercream icing.
Make your cupcakes first:
Chocolate Turtle Cupcakes
2 2/3 cups (12 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cups plus 2 tablespoons (4 ounces) unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter
2 cups (14 ounces) granulated sugar
1 ¼ cups (10 ounces) coffee
24-28 chocolate *Turtles
*You can buy the name-brand Turtles, but bulk food stores usually carry them as well. If you can’t find them, substitute some chocolate melts, a few pecans and a caramel square.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line your muffin tin with liners.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the sour cream and vanilla extract. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed until smooth.
5. Set the mixer to low speed and add the eggs, one at a time, scraping thoroughly between each addition.
Alternately add the flour and sour cream mixtures to the butter mixture in two batches, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Scrape down the bowl after each addition.
6. Gradually pour in the coffee. Scrape down the bowl and beat until thoroughly combined.
7. Scoop the batter into your cupcake liners with a spoon or ice cream scoop.
8. Bake for 26 minutes or until the center of the cupcake has just set. (I insert a barbeque skewer to check).
9. Take out the cupcakes, make a little hole in the center with a knife and insert a Turtle chocolate as far as the cupcake allows.
Bake for another 4 minutes. Once cupcakes have cooled and you’ve removed them from the muffin tin, top with chocolate icing and optional toppings, such as chocolate turtles, caramel sauce or royal icing turtles.