This instructable calls for:
1. An LP Vinyl Record (or another size if you want a smaller bowl)
2. A Cookie Sheet
3. An Oven-Safe Bowl which is about the shape and size you want your record bowl to be
4. An Oven
5. Oven Mitts
Step 1: Step 1: Choose a Vinyl Record
1. Choose something with a pretty design on it as it will be the base of the bowl (As seen in the picture below) or another option is that you could draw or print a design on a piece of paper and paste it on after the bowl is formed. If you do not want to go for a pretty picture you could use a record that has meaning, say your favorite band from the 70s (though keep in mind that the disk will be ruined and unplayable). Also, when choosing a record please try to pick ones that have scratches across them or are otherwise unusable since you will be ruining them anyways (: You do not want to make any record collectors angry.
2. If you do not have your own records, I would suggest looking for one in a relative's attic (if they do not mind), or go to the thrift store (that is where I got mine, it cost me about a dollar)
3. It will be better to have the larger vinyl records and have the material not too thick. (The ones in the picture are the smaller disks as far as I can tell, I think the larger size is called an LP)
4. Check the record on ebay to make sure it is not valuable, who would want to ruin a record they could get good money for? (:
The record I chose was a Disneyland one with the songs form Robin Hood, (see second picture of finished product) this movie was one of my favorites from when I was a kid, plus when I found it at the thrift store it had a huge scratch on it.
Step 2: Step 2: Find a Bowl to Use
Step 4: Step 4: Stacking
Step 5: Step 5: Put it in the Oven
Step 6: Step 6: Take it Out of the Oven
Step 8: Step 8: Final Step
Step 9: Now that you have a record bowl, what can you use it for?
I use my bowl as kind of a catch all bowl, once I move into my dorm and back to college I will be putting it near my door to put my keys and other various and sundry items into it.
You could possibly use the bowl as a flowerpot, if you either find a way to plug the bottom hole or have something on the bottom to catch the draining off water. This would only work if you did not get the record for the label because the label would probably be ruined.
You could make a whole bunch with one flat side and hang them from the wall and use them as a shelf maybe. Or without flat sides and just as decoration on the wall
You could make several and use them as organization containers on a shelf somewhere.
You could used one as a candle holder.
Have another idea? Let me know and I will try to add it here along with credit to you!