A scratch-free phone: not as priceless as you think
However, there is alternative way: make your own screen protector (with no soapy water or mess)! And to make just one will probably cost you less than a nickel!
Thank you for those who voted for this instructable in the back to school contest!
Step 1: Materials
- Vinyl Covering (buy the thinnest kind you can find- I bought mine at Wal-Mart in the fabric department for $1.50 for a whole yard)**
- Scissors/Craft Knife
1. Does it have adhesive on one side?
- No, it doesn't have adhesive. The reason I wanted to make my screen protector this way is because it doesn't have any leftover residue because there isn't any "sticky side." The vinyl does stick to most electronics but results do vary.
2. Where can I get vinyl covering?
- Like what I said above, I got my vinyl covering at the fabric department in Wal-Mart. However this was a while ago and some Wal-Marts have closed their fabric departments. Craft and fabric stores should sell this also.
3. Is this like cling wrap or lamination plastic?
- Vinyl covering isn't like cling wrap or lamination plastic at all. I wouldn't recommend using plastics with adhesives in case of damage to your phone. I haven't tried cling wrap but I does seem like it would crinkle and have a lot of ridges and bubbles.
4. Does the vinyl interfere with how the touch screen reacts?
- I used it on my iPod touch and had no problems with it at all. I don't think it will affect the screen reacts as long as you use a thin enough vinyl. Mine wasn't too thin and it worked great!
5. Does the vinyl damage my screen?
- I have used my screen protector for about 2 years and haven't had any problems with it damaging my screen. In fact, personally I think its better than the adhesive ones that might leave a residue.
6. Does the vinyl have a lot of glare?
- I think it should be fine for glare. I admit it does have a little but nothing to worry about. I haven't noticed any issues with it so it should be fine for most electronics.
Hope this helps out and leave a comment if you have any questions/suggestions/or anything else. :)