Step 1: Nutritional Information
Step 2: Ingredients and Supplies
5- Gallon pot
Tablespoon, teaspoon, measuring cups
Carving knife and cutting board
1 lb. ground beef or **ground turkey
1 lb. cubed ham
1 lb. sausage or **turkey, **chicken, **pork
Vegetable oil - if meat is less than 5% fat
1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce or tomato purée
3/4 cup (6 ounces) tomato paste
1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15.5 ounces) butter beans, drained
1 can (15.5 ounces) chili beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15.5 ounces) lima beans, drained
1 can (15.5 ounce) navy or northern beans drained
1 can brown sugar baked beans DO NOT DRAIN
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped or **2 teaspoons chopped garlic from a jar
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
4-6 teaspoons mustard
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Coarse salt and ground pepper, as desired
Water - enough to make personally desired consistency
**Ingredients given as substitutes if first listed ingredient not desired or available
Sharp cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
Step 3: Cooking the Meats
3.1 Unpackage all meats and dice the ham, if it is not already.
3.2 In three preheated skillets, individually brown the ground beef, cubed ham, and sausage over medium-high.
For browning instructions see end of this page
*WARNING: Brown meats individually. This will ensure that individual meats have a distinct flavor and do not taste like a meat mix.*
3.3 Combine each browned meat into the pot.
-How to Brown Meat-
1. Remove meat from freezer or refrigerator.
2. If possible, leave the meat out for a few hours to become room temperature or thaw in microwave until no longer frozen.
3. Preheat the skillet to medium high heat.
4. If the meat is very lean (labeled less than 5% fat) add oil, enough to cover the bottom of the skillet.
5. Place meat on the skillet.
6. Begin breaking meat down into smaller portions using a spatula.
7. Every few seconds flip the meat over to cook all sides of the meat.
8. Once every side of the meat is brown (or ashen grey colored) remove skillet from heat or remove meat from skillet.
Step 4: Adding Vegetables and Condiments
4.2 Cook over medium-high, stirring frequently until onion is translucent, about 15 minutes.
4.3 Add chili powder, mustard, salt and pepper, and brown sugar to pot.
4.4 Cook until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
4.5 Add tomato sauce & tomato paste to pot; cook, stirring the bottom of the pan frequently until tomato paste is deep brick red, about 3 minutes.
Step 5: Adding the Beans
5.2 At boil, reduce heat to simmer and add water one cup at a time while stirring slightly until you achieve desired thickness, about 20 minutes.
*WARNING: If you put in too much water, increase simmer time until liquid reduces slightly.*
5.3 Season with a dash of salt and pepper, top with sour cream, Tabasco sauce, and sharp cheddar cheese.
5.4 Serve with cornbread, sourdough, or other hearty bread and a tossed salad.