Required Parts and Tools
Wire Crimpers (Optional)
1 - RJ-45 connector (Optional)
9-Pin Serial Cable
4-Wire Splice Connectors
Step 1: Strip the Serial Cable
2) Using the strippers, remove roughly 2 inches of the cable covering on the cut end to expose the inner wires.
Step 2: Map the 9 Pin Holes to Inner Cables Using Multimeter
2) Insert either multimeter rod (red or black) into first pin hole of serial cable.
3) Make contact with inner wires (inside inner shield) with other rod one at a time.
4) When the multimeter picks up a reading, then the pin hole being used is connected to the wire being touched.
5) Repeat steps 2-4 until all inner wires are mapped to their pin holes.
Step 3: Remove Unnecessary Inner Wires
c) Ground (there may be multiple, pick only one)
2) Set aside the inner wires corresponding to the designated pins along with the bare wire (also ground).
3) Cut off the unnecessary inner wires.