Breakfast burritos are hugely popular and for good reason, they are delicious! This is my own recipe for breakfast burritos.
My breakfast burrito does not use potatoes because I like it without potatoes. When I eat one of these burritos, I want to taste the eggs, cheese, and meat. I do think a great alternative to this would be to add some cooked hash brown potatoes or better yet, tater tots. If the potatoes are crisp, I think it makes a good burrito, otherwise, I just leave the out. If you want to add them just make sure you subtract from the other ingredients so that you can fold the tortilla.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 2 large flour or corn tortillas
- 6 eggs
- 1 ounces bacon, ham or sausage
- 1/2 c. pepper jack cheese, or your favorite cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp. chopped green onions, raw
- 1/4 c. sauteed onions
- 1/4 c. sauteed mushrooms
- 1/2 c. jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp. guacamole
- 2 tbsp. salsa
- 1 tbsp. sour cream
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cilantro
- 1/4 c. diced tomato
Step 2: Prep Ingredients
Saute onions in olive oil for two minutes then add chopped mushrooms, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and Cheyenne pepper and saute for about another 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Cook bacon, sausage or ham if needed and set aside.
Scramble the eggs and set aside.
Step 3: Warm the Tortillas
Heat the tortillas by either wrapping them in some foil and placing them over a fire or heat source. Alternatively, you can place them in a clean dry frying pan and heat for about 30 seconds on each side. If you have an oven you can wrap in foil and place in a warm oven. Do not over heat them.
Step 4: Assemble Burritos
- T ake one tortilla and place some of the eggs in the middle.
- Add meat on top of the eggs.
- Add the sauteed onions and mushrooms on top of the meat.
- Add the pepper jack cheese to taste.
Step 5: Fold the Tortilla
- Fold the tortilla by folding in the sides about a quarter ways to the center. Fold the side closest to you over the side folds while scooping the ingredients into the tortilla as you rolling it shut.
Step 6: Repeat
Repeat making the burritos until the desired number are built or there are no more ingredients.
Step 7: Wrap and Heat
Wrap in foil and place over low to medium heat for about 5 minutes or until reheated, your oven works great for this. Alternatively, you can place a frying pan over medium to medium-low heat. Add some not stick spray and place the burrito in the pan. Cook on at least two sides, four sides is better, until golden brown.
Step 8: Prepare to Serve
Unwrap and place the burrito on a plate. Sprinkle on some cheddar cheese while the tortilla is still hot.
Add salsa, guacamole, and sour cream as desired. Sprinkle with diced tomato, green onion and cilantro before serving.