This is my very first Instructable.
Step 1: Opening the Can
- 1 #10 tin can (coffee can)
- 1 can opener
- 1 church key
- 2 Wire coat hangers
- 1 drill with a 1/8" drill bit
- 1 pair of diagonal cutters
- 1 pair of needle nose pliers
Step 2: Making the Vent Holes
Step 3: Drilling the Holes for the Wire Mesh
Drill 4 holes for handle (see illustration)
Step 4: Making a Wire Mesh
- Open the coat hangers and straighten with the pliers
- Cut the coat hanger into 12 8 inch pieces using the diagonal cutters
- With the pliers form a hook at one end of each of the 12 pieces of wire about 3/4" in diameter
- Thread the straight end of the wire through the can to it's opposite hole making sure to thread the hook end into it's corresponding hole
- Insert the hook into the the hole nearest it and using the pliers, on the inside of the can bend the wire so that it cannot be removed from the can.
- Repeat the inserting process for all the holes, you may have to drill additional holes and place additional wires to make a tighter mesh depending on the size of charcoal you plan to use. (I had to do this.)
Making the Handle
- For the handle drill 2 sets of two holes, one set at the top of the can and another near the mesh. Drill the sets vertically
- take the remainder of the coat hanger and fasten it in the same manner done when creating the mesh
Step 5: The Finished Product
You can see it in action on this OpenTutorial tutorial How to Light Charcoal Without Lighter Fluid
- Be careful, I cut myself twice while building this be smarter than me, use gloves.
- I make absolutely no claim to the safety of this project, make it and use it at your own risk. There are professionally built Charcoal Chimneys on the market. Please consider buying one if for any reason you feel uncomfortable about making your own.