Any great chili cook off needs a great trophy! Learn how to create a chili cook off trophy that's bound to inspire a fierce competition!
Step 1: Gather Supplies
2 different sized empty cans
Gold spray paint
Black spray paint
Dry Pinto Beans
Wood Block or Wooden Plaque
E6000 – Industrial strength adhesive – purchase at any craft store.
Box cutter or Scissors
Step 2: Glue Cans and Bowls Together
The next step is to create the trophy using the cans, bowl, floral foam, and spoon.
1. Clean out the cans and remove labels.
2. Use E6000 to glue the edge of the smaller can to the larger can.
3. Stick the spoon in the green floral foam and glue foam to the inside of the bowl.
4. Glue the bottom of the bowl to the top of the smaller can.
Step 3: Glue Beans to Cans and Felt
1. Use E6000 to glue the beans in a circle on the felt.
2.Then glue the beans on the edge and side of the cans.
Step 4: Fill Up the Bowl
1. Stuff the edges around the floral foam with paper towels to help the bowl appear full.
2. Cut felt covered in beans to fit into the bowl to cover the foam and paper towels.
3. Glue felt to bowl and foam.
Step 5: Prepare for Paint
Using the sandpaper, give wood block and plastic bowl a light sanding to help the paint better adhere to the surfaces.
Step 6: Paint Base and Trophy
For this step follow the directions on the spray paint.
1. Paint the trophy with metallic gold.
2. Paint the base with black.
I did two coats for each.
Step 7: Glue Trophy to Base
Use E6000 to glue the bottom of the gold can to the wooden base. Let set for 24 hours.
Step 8: Add Contest Name or Other Decorations
Now it's your turn to get creative! Add your contest name and other decorations! Here's what I did:
1. Design a nameplate in a design program, I used Adobe Illustrator CC.
2. Print on thick card stock.
3. Cut to size.
4. Glue to the wooden base.