Want to give a gift to friends and family members who are expecting a baby? Know someone who just had a baby? Don't be unoriginal and buy something off their baby register from a department store. Give them something they really need but dress it up. Make their gift . . . The Diaper Cake!!!
The 'Diaper Cake' looks like a white three tier wedding cake made from (new and unused) diapers and can be customized to fit the personality of the gift recipient. And can be made for as little as $35, but looks like it costs a lot more.
The 'Diaper Cake' can also be used as party decorations (as a smaller version-2 tier) or as a table centerpiece at baby showers.
The 'Diaper Cake' can be made as big or as small as you wish. If you like a challenge, see how many tiers you can make it.
Step 1: Materials list
- Scissors - pointy ends work better.
- Diapers (96 count shown) - I recommend getting Size #2 or larger- babies grow out of Size #1 fast, because the diaper is based on the weight of the baby, (not the load inside the diaper). Plus, the gift recipient can enjoy your beautiful creation longer before they have to break it up and use the diapers. Cost: Roughly $25.
- Small decorations for the top tier (pick items based on the sex of the baby, the personality of the gift recipient, or the theme of the baby's room). In this example, I used a silk rose as the nursery theme was a garden. I have also used stuffed animals and sports balls. Cost:Prices varies.
- Rubber bands in a variety of sizes - Used to hold the diapers together and makes a useful third hand. Cost: Free from work.
- Cardboard round cake circles. I used 12" here, but you a can use any size depending on the size of the diaper cake base you need. Cost: $4.95 for a pack of 6, only 1 is needed per cake.
- Ribbon - Decorative ribbon that matches the theme/color of the 'Top Tier' decoration.
Cost: Ranges from $1-3 for a roll of 15 feet. You will need 2 rolls.
- String - will be used internally to hold the tiers together. It needs to be white so that it hides better among the diapers.