That was before I joined Pinterest.
I had pinned a motorcycle diaper cake to one of my boards, and when the time came to actually make the gift, I was unfortunately disappointed when the link I pinned took me to just a photo, and I was unable to see how to make the gift easily.
A quick Google search as I walked around Target took me to an exceptional tutorial on a blog here: Sweet Aprils, the Blog.
I give a huge thumbs up to the author of that blog, who literally saved my shopping trip and I was able to complete the easier, sweeter, cooler diaper motorcycle that had a bigger "WOW" factor than a regular diaper cake, in my opinion of course.
I dedicate this instructable, to my sister-in-love, who asked me to post the "How To" make this cool baby shower gift that only takes about an hour.
Step 1: Materials
For the tires - Steps 2 & 3
- A minimum of thirty-four (34), Size 1 diapers
- Two (2) rubber bands
- An 8-inch cake pan
- 1-1/2" to 2" wide coordinating ribbon
- At least two sewing pins
- Two (2) individual receiving blankets, at least 27" square
- At least two (more) sewing pins
- Something to "tie" the blanket together: Suggestions are another rubber band (covered by ribbon), a chain link toy, OR a cute ponytail holder, (which is what I used.)
- One Bib - Purchase a pack of at least two for the whole project.
Make a headlight - Step 6
- One bottle
- *Optional*: I used one burp cloth to wrap around the bottle, but it is not needed.
Stiffen the handlebars - Step 7
- An empty toilet paper roll tube
- Booties or a pair of socks
- Tissue paper or a paper towel
Make a seat - Step 8
- One bib
Place a Rider - Step 9
- A small (6" tall or so) stuffed animal
- My photo shows a box of 108 diapers. This is not needed, unless you are like me and plan on giving the diapers as part of the present.
- Make sure you get enough diapers! Some packages only have 30 when you need at least 34 for a good looking end result.
- The *optional* items to purchase for the gift can include a burp cloth or a washcloth. I purchased a package of burp cloths and incorporated them into the motorcycle cake throughout the process.