Introduction: How to Make a Fabric Book Cover
You know what’s the latest trend? A fabric book cover for your favourite book, whether it be a novel, a notebook, or a journal. It’s an awesome trend, with lots of benefits. It beautifies your book and protects it too.
It’s a must- try trend. But making your own fabric book cover can get a little confusing sometimes. That’s where the NextGen Versatility comes in!
Here is an easy to follow guide on how to make a fabric cover for any book of your choice. Let’s dive in!!
Step 1: You Will Need:-
- 2 kinds of fabric (one for the cover, and one for its lining)
- A needle
- Thread of any colour
- The book you want to cover
Step 2: Measure Your Book:-
- Measure the following dimensions of your book
- Width when the book is kept open
- Make a note of these.
Step 3: Cut the Fabric:-
- Cut out rectangular pieces from both the fabric, for making the cover and the lining.
- The dimensions of the rectangle should be
- L= width of the book when kept open + 2 inches on either side to make the sleeves.
- B=height of the book + 1 cm on either side to hem the edges.
Step 4: Sew the Fabric Together:-
- Sew their corners together first.
- Then sew their edges.
Step 5: Make the Sleeves:-
- Fold 2 inches of the fabric along the breadth to make the sleeves.
- Sew 3 sides of the fold
- Leave 1 side open to insert the book’s cover.
- Do the same for the other side.
Step 6: Additional Details:-
- Your book cover is almost complete
- Add some decorative items to make the cover more attractive.
- Some things you could add are
- An elastic band to keep the book closed
- Embroidery, etc.
Step 7: Make the Elastic Band:-
- An elastic band should be added only to book covers made for notebooks or journals.
- An elastic band doesn’t suit book covers for novels.
- Take an elastic band (from an pair of pants or other clothing)
- Fold and sew it to your desired width and thickness.
- Measure and cut it so that it fits tightly around your book vertically.
- Stitch it onto the back side of the book cover.
Step 8: And There You Go!! :-
- You have your very own fabric book cover!
- It’s sure to make a cool statement.
Step 9: Tips:-
- This book cover can be hand sewn or machine sewn.
- Choose contrasting colours and prints for the cover and the lining so the book covers looks attractive.
- Measure twice, cut once. (golden rule of sewing)
Step 10: The NextGen Versatility:-
Want more interesting guides on amazing projects? Then follow The NextGen Versatility! I need your motivation!
Post a picture of your own fabric book cover!