Introduction: How to Make a Faux Patchwork Pencil Pouch
What is Patchwork?
Patchwork is a style of needlework in which small pieces of cloth in different designs, colours, or textures are sewn together.
Patchwork is a cool trend nowadays. And having your own patchwork fabric craft makes a chic statement. But it is difficult and time-consuming to make actual patchwork fabric.
So here is a simple and inexpensive way of making material that looks and feels like patchwork, but is something different altogether.
You can use this technique not only for making this pencil pouch but also for any other embroidery or sewing craft items like tote bags, book covers, purses, etc. get the look with half the difficulty and double the awesomeness. Let’s begin!!
Step 1: Materials Required
You will need:-
- 2 kinds of fabric of different designs/ textures/ colours for the patches
- 1 big piece of fabric for the base cloth
- A fabric with a funky print for the lining
- A zipper
- A needle
- Thread of any colour
Step 2: The Base Cloth
- Cut a rectangle measuring 24 x 30 cm from the big piece of fabric to make the base cloth.
- Draw lines to divide the base cloth into 36 rectangles measuring 4 x 5 cm. This will help with the placement of the patches later.
Step 3: The Patches
- To make the patches, cut 18 rectangles (each measuring 4 x 5 cm) from both the kinds of fabric.
- Place these patches on the base cloth in a chequered pattern with the help of the lines drawn previously.
Step 4: Sewing the Patches
- First, sew the corners of the patches onto the base cloth to hold them in place. Then start sewing their edges down to the base cloth.
Step 5: The Lining
- Attach the lining cloth in a similar fashion, starting with the corners and then sewing the edges.
Step 6: The Zipper
- Align the edge of the zipper (facing down) with that of the patchwork fabric and sew them together (Fig.1 &2)
- Do the same for the other side as well (Fig.3)
- Fold the patchwork fabric and sew the thin flap to the zipper. (Marked by black dots next to the zipper in the last image.)
- Repeat this for the other side of the fabric.
Step 7: The Open Ends
- Reverse the pouch so that the lining is outside.
- Centre the zipper and then sew both the open ends.
Step 8: The Corners
- Pop the corners as shown. (Fig.1 to 4)
- Measure 4 cm on both sides and mark a point. (Fig.5)
- Join these 2 points using a marker. (Fig.7)
- Sew along this line to form the corner of the pouch.
- Cut off the excess fabric to make the corner neat. (Fig.8)
- Repeat the same for the rest of the corners.
- When you turn the pouch inside out, it will look the one in the image.
Step 9: And You're Done!
Reverse the pouch, to bring the patchwork side out. There
you have it! Your very own Faux Patchwork Pencil Pouch!!
Follow NextGenVersatility to view some more awesome stuff!
Step 10: Tips
- This pouch can be made using a sewing machine or it can be hand sewn.
- You can mark dots on the fabric to help make your stitches more uniform and neat. (If hand sewed)
- Some fabrics tend to fray after cutting. Trim the frayed ends only after hemming the edges of the fabric.
- If one of the fabrics has a funky print, then it is better for the other fabrics to be plain. It looks better this way. Too many prints and designs may ruin its beauty.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.