Benefits of negative ions supposedly include
• freshen and purify the air
• help lift mood
• alleviate depression including winter depression(SAD)
• eliminate most tiny particles suspended in the air (indoors)
- HIGH VOLTAGES present in both devices is high enough to induce a bad case of temporary Tourettes. ie twitching/profanity.
- Be aware of the hazards when working with loose CARBON FIBRE filaments if using this option for high voltage grid instead of pins.
Step 1: Components and Design
- soldering iron and solder.
- screwdrivers, flat and star
- cordless drill.
- hot melt glue gun.
- wire wrapper.
5v to reduce current consumption and noise.
The half wave version uses fewer components and less current, the smaller size is also trickier to build.
In both versions the negative band on the diode must point towards the ac voltage input.
If you follow the green arrows on the component diagrams, you will first encounter the negative side on the diode first, indicated by the white band.
Step 2: Full-Wave Ionizer Materials and Component Layout
- 2 x 10meg ohm resistors. (limit output current for safety)
- 40 x diode 1N4007.
- 30 x capacitor 100nF 275V class x2 suppression.
- 1 length 350mm ega tube trunking.
- 2 ega tube end caps for trunking.
- 4 x self tappers for end caps.
- low amperage hookup wire, ATX power supply type wire is fine.
- 1metre 3 core 220v ac lead.
- standard pins (or carbonfibre) for high voltage grid.
- 60mm x 60mm 12V dc fan, old cpu fan works well.
- finger guard for above fan.
- old cellphone charger +/- 5V dc to power fan.
- small switch for fan, necessary for silent operation.