I have created this for the benefit of all cake makers.
The internet was lacking in instructions for making a possum cake.
Step 1: What You Need
2. cake board
4. white frosting ( you need enough white to frost the whole cake)
5. A small amount of pink and black frosting
6. sweetened, shredded coconut ( you will need less then 1 14oz bag)
7. brown sprinkles
8. 2 white m&ms
9. And last but not least, a pastry brush. It is very useful for keeping the cake board clean.
Step 2: Make the Cake
Make sure you grease and flour the cake pan so that the cake comes out easily.
Freeze the cake to make cutting and frosting easier.
Step 3: Cut the Cake
1. Cut two big triangles off the front of the cake and two smaller ones off the back.
Save the big triangles for the head and the smaller ones for the feet.
2. Cut a long thin rectangle near the side to make the tail. You will not need to save this piece.
3. Round out all corners.
4. Place the big triangles on top for the head.
5. Cut the little triangles in half lengthwise and round them out to make the feet.
6. After you have your cake arranged like the picture, sweep away crumbs with your handy pastry brush.
7. Refreeze the cake to make it easier to frost.
Step 4: Frost Cake
2. Frost the feet and tail pink.
Step 5: Decorate
2. Cover the head with coconut.
3. Put a dot of black on the m&ms for eyes.
4. Put a pink nose.
5. Draw ears, whiskers, and claws in black frosting.