Magnets are one of the most fun things to experiment with. In this instructable, we will learn how to make a strong Electromagnet at home with very few components.
When a current is made to flow in a wire, then there develops a magnetic field around it. But it is very weak to interact with magnetic objects. If we insert a piece of iron inside the coil, then the magnetic force increases many folds.
Watch the video to see the detailed procedure of making an Electromagnet.
For written Instructions, proceed to step 2....
Step 1: Materials Required
1. Long Iron Bolt (or any piece of iron)
2. A Few metres of Enameled copper wire (I used about 3m of wire in this project)
3. A piece of Sandpaper
4. Input Power Source (I used 3.7v, 2000mah Li-ion Cells)
Note: You can also watch my video and learn to make a Li- Ion Cell holder at home.
Step 2: How to Proceed
1. Take a long iron bolt and few metres of enameled copper wire.
2. Tightly wind the wire over the bolt such that the turns are as close to eachother as possible.
3. Make multiple layers of turns over one another but make sure that they are tight and close to eachother.
Note: Watch the video to see how to do the winding. The closer the turns, the stronger will be the strength of the magnet.
4. Using Sand paper, remove the insulation from the sides of the wire.
5. Connect a power source to the magnet
6. Our Electromagnet is ready to use. Now, test the magnet over some objects to determine its strength.
Note: You can increase or decrease the magnetic strength by increasing or decreasing the no. of turns of wire or the input power source.
So Friends, this here concludes the instructable. Visit soon for new ones or you can also Subscribe to get regular updates.
All the best..:)