A zombie in this context is not your undead wife looking to eat your brains. It is a small white bread loaf filled with either:
1) just melted cheese
2) sausage and cheese
For the 2009 SuperBowl I thought I would try to resurrect some fond food memories by making my own sausage zombie.
Step 1: The Ingredients
To that end, the entire ingredient list is as follows:
1) One package of pre-made, frozen white bread dough (use loaf bread only. Dinner rolls don't rise like you want them to)
2) One package of Kraft American cheese, deli slices (non-wrapped kind)
3) One package of 'Lil Smokies. (I like the pork ones)
Step 2: Combining the ingredients
I used one quarter (1/4) of a bread loaf per zombie. In the end this actually made a lot of bread around the filling, but I remember in high school there was often the need to work through a lot of bread to find the filling so it seemed appropriate.
1) Work the blob of dough til its a rough circle about 1/2 -1/3 inches thick.
2) Take two slices of cheese and fold them over twice to make a stack of 4 quarter slices.
3) Place the two cheese stacks and two lil smokies onto the circle of dough
4) Fold the dough up around the filling so it looks like a little bun (Be sure to pinch the dough closed tightly. If you don't it will come apart when the dough rises)