Step 5: Construction Log 3
I have begun using the Mortiser drill to drill the 10mm slots, the problem is that it is very tight so I will have to sand or file each joint. To put the wood into the drill I am using a jig so it is square and is safely strapped onto the drilling surface.
As I had predicted, the mortiser drill made the slots very tight and it is not easy to pull apart the pieces once they are in. Due to this inconvenience I will have to sand all of the slots down by had.
I have nine pieces left to make, this includes cutting out the wood and drilling the slots. I have completely finished the other pieces and now they are smooth with no sharp edges, fitting together nicely and look good. The next nine will have to wait till after the Christmas holiday.
Unfortunately in a rush I drew the slots on the wrong side( the top instead of the bottom.) This is not a problem of time but a problem of material, luckily this could be used for something else as it is a bigger piece but it is still a bit of a waste. One of the smaller pieces was dropped onto the concrete and cracked down the middle, so a replacement will also have to be made. This brings the total not completed pieces up to 11! I have identified some problems that I will try to resolve.
When trying to put the pieces back together(slot in slot) it appeared that they had shrunk a bit in the cold of the workshop. So I have spent today filing and sanding them down a bit more so they snugly fit back into the opposite slots.
All the pieces are now cut and slotted.
I have sanded all the pieces using a belt sander. They are amazingly smooth to touch and slip easily into their opposite slots. Only 3 more to sand down and check!