Before we start making one, lets answer some basic questions like:
1. What is a Metronome and what does it do?
-A Metronome is a device that produces regular ticks (beats).
2. Who invented the Metronome?
-The mechanical Metronome was invented by Dietrich Nikolaus Winkel in Amsterdam in 1812. Johann Mälzel copied several of Winkel's construction ideas and received the patent for the portable Metronome in 1816.
3. What types of Metronomes are there?
a) Mechanical Metronomes
b) Electronic Metronomes ( the one we will be making)
c) Software Metronomes
4. Who uses Metronomes?
-Metronomes are used by musicians when practicing in order to maintain a constant tempo.
5. How is tempo measured?
-Tempo is measured in beats per minute (BPM). Metronomes can be set to variable tempi, usually ranging from 40 to 208 BPM.
6. Why would I want a Metronome?
- If you are a proud owner of an instrument, any kind ( guitar, piano, tuba, trumpet, violine...) you have to have a Metronome in the home. If you don't own any instruments you can use it to make your self fall asleep.
If you decided to build your own Metronome, then lets head to the next step and see what we need for this project!