Introduction: Custom Lego Minifigures (Make Batman, Star Wars Clone, Minecraft, Avenger, Disney, Spider-Man, Star Wars, Superman, Hulk, X-Men, Wolverine, Transformer, IronMan, DC SuperHero, Lord of the Ring, Disneys Frozen , and LEGO Movie Minifigures)
Learn How to make a ten part movable LEGO man!
Step 1: Gather Materials
8oz Clear Casting Plastic
4oz Vegetable Oil Mold Release
4oz Bubble Buster
Microwave Safe Containers
X ACTO Knife
Clay (used to add optional features)
Step 2: Prepare and Create the Mold
1) First heat and melt the ComposiMold.
2) Next take the LEGO minifgure apart.
3) Apply a very light coat of mold release to all the pieces.
4) Place the pieces into an oven safe container.
5) Spray the pieces with a heavy coat of bubble buster.
6) Pour the ComposiMold over the pieces.
7) Pre heat your oven or toaster oven to 170F. Or use a double boiler.
8) Spray the top of the mold with Bubble Buster .
9) Cover the mold/container with aluminum foil.
10) Place the container in the oven for 2 hrs. at 170F.
11) Remove the mold from the oven and wait for it to solidify.
12) Spray the mold with bubble buster.
13) Pour more ComposiMold until all the pieces are completely covered.
14) Wait for the mold to solidify.
Step 3: DE Molding the Individual LEGO Pieces
Cut the mold so that each LEGO piece is its own separate mold. Then make precise cuts that allow you to remove the part but doesn't effect the mold. The mold should still allow for hollow spots and holes such as the holes for the arms and the hollow body. Please refer to part three of the video for each individual piece. We found the methods used for cutting in the video to be the most effective
Step 4: Cast Your Custom LEGO
Grab your safety gear - safety glasses, rubber gloves and a respirator if you are working in a poorly ventilated area.
Mix the resin - (Clear Casting Plastic is a two part Epoxy resin). Use two capfuls of part A and Part B Scrape the sides of the cap to get all of the resin. To prevent bubbles gently but thoroughly mix the two parts together. Clear casting plastic has a 45 minute pot life so that gives you enough time to mix and degas the mixture if you have the capability.
Clear casting plastic is recommended for this project but other resins will work as well. Clear casting plastic has the perfect viscosity or thickness because it is not to thin that it will seep out of the cuts but it is thin enough that it can be forced into the mold using a syringe. If you are using a thin resin brush some melted ComposiMold were you made your cuts leaving only one opening for the syringe to go into.
Step 5: Finnish Your Custom LEGO!
Once all the molds are filled wait 14-24 hours before De Molding, at this time the plastic parts will be flexible and because they are flexible it will be easy to trim the pieces if they need to be trimmed. Once you are finished trimming wait another 24 hours or heat the parts at 200-250 degrees F for 1 hour and they will become solid. Once the pieces are solid you can paint them. The easiest method is to spray paint the peices with white paint then paint on a white primer followed by two more layers of any color water based or oil paint.