First things first, some notes and disclaimers:
- The order in which I discuss the following optimizations, maintenance operations, etc. in this tutorial is not required. It is simply the order that I recommend.
- All steps in this tutorial are optional.
- I try to indicate when a particular optimization is a little more advanced, and leave it to you to decide whether you want to venture down that path.
- I will sometimes use the term “mechanical hard drive” (as opposed to an SSD, or solid state drive). If you don’t know what a solid state drive is, you probably don’t have one.
- These optimizations are intended for Windows XP up through Windows 7, though some of them will work with older versions of Windows.
- If you run into any technical issues during this tutorial (you really shouldn’t), Google is your best friend for troubleshooting them. I simply cannot cover every possible issue you may encounter on your particular computer.
- It is highly recommended that you perform a thorough backup of all important files before beginning this tutorial.
- If you follow this tutorial incorrectly, I am not liable for any damages.
Let’s get started!