Introduction: How to Polish Stainless Steel Watch | Basics of Polishing
What is up everybody, in this video I will be showing you how to polish an old scratched stainless steel watch using an electric polish machine.
- In the beginning I will also explain the basic concept of polishing different types of metals.
-Enjoy the instructable
Step 1: Equipment for Polishing
-Let's firstly talk about the theory and the basic equipment for polishing metals.
-I will be using this 150 W bench grinder on which I replaced the grinding stones with the polishing pads, which came in different sizes and with different purpose of use.
- You will also need a few polishing agents, where each of them contributes to a desired gloss factor, from low gloss to super finish surface gloss.
Step 2: Polishing a Testing Square Profile
- Let's polish this oxidized aluminum profile to see the difference between each step from the beginning to the super finish polishing.
- I started with the 200 grid sandpaper to remove some deep scratched, then continued with the 1500 grid and we can already see the difference but our part is still mate finish so using a 6 micro agent slowly polish the profile's entire area.
- The part is almost like a mirror now but we can furtherly make it even glossier with a 0.5 micron agent. It is really like a mirror now and I cant wait to test how my watch is gonna turn out after all these steps.
Step 3: Disassembling and Polishing a Watch
- Slowly remove the pins that are holding the band together and put some gloves on your fingers so you wont get hurt.
- Start with more rough pad and finish polishing with the softer one.
-Continue with polishing the band and after that thoroughly wipe of any excess agent left between the joints of the watchband.
-After that attach the band back to the watch frame with 3 pins. This may take you a little bit more time but at the end your watch should look something like this.
Step 4: Conclusion
- There are a few scratches still visible because I didn't use the sandpaper before using the polish machine, but anyway I am satisfied with the glossy finish and If I will to that again in the future I will definitely pre-sand it to remove more deep scratches.
- That would be all, thank you for reading this instructable, If you like it please also consider clicking on the video below of how I do it and enjoy the great music.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.