What you will need:
* Eye protection
* Ear protection
* Respirator while sanding
* Old wood
* Access to a Jointer/Planer
Step 1: Remove Nails
To make sure your wood is metal free follow these steps:
* Visually inspect the wood.
* Remove all nails, screws, staples, rocks.
* Look for problem areas. Cracks, loose knots and rotten wood. You may not want to plane those boards.
* Use a hand sander to sand all sides of the wood. You can get away with just one pass The sander will find any last metal you missed. You may be able to see the metal - as it will be a little shinny dot. Or you may hear a new sound when the sander hits the metal.
* Cut off the ends of the boards if they are not even. This will help the wood feed through the planner.