Introduction: How to Preserve Cucumbers
Time: 15 minutes
2 cups white vinegar
4 cups water
1/3 cup canning salt
1 lb cucumbers
2-3 garlic cloves per jar
1 teaspoon dry dill per jar
Makes 3-4 16oz jars
* My cucumbers don't always produce a whole bushel when I am ready to make pickles. So, I half this recipe sometimes and it will make one or two jars at a time. If you have extra brine left over you can place it in fridge and use later.
Step 1: Cucumbers
1. Cut off tops and bottom of cucumbers.
2. Slice pickles, chop onions and garlic.
3. Place onions and garlic at bottom of jar.
4. Next tightly pack cucumbers into jar.
5. Top each jar off with 1 tsp dry dill.
Step 2: Brine
1. In a sauce pan add water, vinegar, and salt.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Pour over cucumbers, filling to top, leaving 1/4 head space.
4. Tightly place on lid and let sit on counter for 24 hours.
5. After 24 hours place in fridge and let sit for a few weeks before use.
*Refrigerate up to a year.
Follow us on Instagram and etsy.com @pinehillsfarm to see more!
Step 3: Second Way
1. Make the brine as the first recipe.
2. Omit the onions and garlic.
3. Instead use a tablespoons (or 2 depending on your jar size) pickling seasoning and dry dill.
4. Cut up the cucumbers, add the pickling seasoning and dill to the jar and pour the brine over the cucumbers.
5. Let cool on counter for 24 hours then place in refrigerator.
makes 1-2 (32oz jars)