Step 1: Pick a Cause + Gather Materials
- Plastic sheet
- Hole Punch
- Zip Ties (2-4)
- 30 minutes of time
There are so very many.
Apparently bumper stickers are going out of style. I hope bumpers and the cars they are attached to go out of style. It would make my bike commute much safer.
My bumper sticker came in the mail after I phone banked for the Bernie Sanders campaign. Be kind, conservative commenters. I'd hate to have your hard-written words deleted by our moderate moderators. Interestingly, it was printed by union stickersmiths of Local 820 Sign Painters Union. They didn't seem to consider the bicycle.
There are so very many.
- Coroplast/Corrugated Plastic (old political yard signs)
- Plastic sheet from craft store
- A milk jug (PET)
- Cardboard, but only if you live in Los Angeles or another desert
- Metal if you are hard core and like to get cut
- a wooden 2x4 plank and a u bolt
Step 2: Apply Sticker(s) to Plastic Sheet.
I used a transit card to smooth out bubbles.
Step 3: Determine Placement and Mark Seat Suports
Step 4: Mark Desired Outline
- Mark the center of the sticker. You want it to be balanced.
- Offset some lines on either side of the center
- Be sure to round any internal corners. This will make it less likely to rip at the corners when you kick it as you get on/off your bike!
Step 5: Cut Outline
I used regular scissors. I needed both hands, and couldn't take a photo. Imagine it for me: A sharp pair of orange righty Fiskars easily, safely, and accurately slicing up the plastic.
Step 6: Punch Holes
You can use a 3-hole punch, a regular punch, or a leather punch.
You could also carefully cut holes with a Xacto knife, or burn the holes with a magnifying glass on a sunny day, or heat up a rod and press it through. A drill would be tricky, I'd recommend a board on the front and back to prevent a tear up.
Step 7: Bend the Plastic
I wanted it to bounce as I rode, so I put a bend it it so it would sit proud off the tail of the bike.
Step 8: Attach the Sign
Using zip ties, attach the sign to your seat.
I used two, but I wish I used 4.
Two on each post would make it much more stable.
Step 9: Admire
Be sure to bike kindly, or folks will associate your cause with reckless riding.
Or, ride recklessly with the sticker of a cause you don't support! That's called a false-flag, or in this case, a false-sticker.