Introduction: How to Quickly Chill a Drink in 2 Minutes
I show how to quickly chill a drink with only a bowl, water, ice, and salt. It will take about 2 minutes to chill the drink. This is a quick and easy trick that won’t dilute a beverage like adding ice cubes to it would do. Perfect for cooling any canned/bottled drinks it could even work on wine and champagne but make a little longer as they typically have thicker glass bottles.
To chill a beverage in a freezer it would take about 20-25 minutes. If you put the beverage in a bucket of ice, that would cut the time in half. If you were to add water to the ice it would take about 4-6 minutes. But if you add salt in the ice water, you would reduce the chill time to just over 2 minutes. Agitating the can in the water by stirring it reduces the chill time even more.
Step 1: What You Will Need
- A Beverage
- Ice Cubes
- A Spoon
Step 2: Instructions
1. Fill a thick glass bowl with water and ice. The thicker and more insulated the bowl, the better. It should be able to trap the cold water and ice mixture.
2. Add as much ice to the water as you can, but still be able to submerge the beverage. If you just need to chill one or a few drinks a 50/50 mix of ice and water is a good rule of thumb. If you have to chill many drinks, you're better off using a cooler or larger container.
3. Add a tablespoon or two of salt into the ice water and stir. The salt will dissociate into its constituent sodium and chloride ions. The water molecules, being polar, will orient themselves accordingly. This requires energy which comes from thermal energy in the water, thus reducing the ambient temperature of the ice water further.
4. Put your drinks in the ice water solution and rapidly stir them. Stirring the drinks will help the heat transfer out of your drink and into the ice solution more quickly.
5. Wait about two minutes. The temperature should have fallen dramatically in a very short time.
6. If it needs more time chilling, stir the remaining drinks in the salted ice water for another minute or two.
7. It should now be about the perfect temperature to quench your thirst.
Step 3: Watch the Video
(The video may not show up for mobile viewers)