Picture of How to Re-upholster Chairs Using a Staple Gun
This is a quick and easy how-to if you are interested in re-covering chairs. It's a fun way to refresh or update old furniture, and doesn't take much time at all! In this tutorial I will be using a chair from the dining room collection, but feel free to follow along with any chair that you have - the steps apply to almost any piece of furniture. 
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1: Supplies

Picture of Supplies
First, you'll need to gather supplies. The supplies you'll need for this process are:
-Staple gun
-Staples (check the size of the staple and compare to the staple gun)
-Fabric (enough to cover the surface + 2 additional inches on every side)
-Hammer or flathead screwdriver
-Wooden worksurface

Step 2: How to Use the Staple Gun

If you are unsure how to use the staple gun, please reference this video:

Step 3: Strip Old Fabric

Picture of Strip Old Fabric
Getting started, remove the piece you intend to recover from the chair. This may require tools if you have a different style chair, but most are easily removed with a simple screwdriver. This particular chair seen in the picture does not require tools, the pieces snap into place on the seat and back into a wooden frame.

If there is an existing fabric, you can choose to cover over it or remove it, I would suggest removing any old fabric to avoid excessive stapling. Begin by using your hammer to pull up old staples, they should come up easily but you can also use pliers if you have trouble with this step. 

When it is all done, your surface should look like the picture in the bottom right corner, completely clean and ready for new staples. 
bound4all4 months ago
What brand of staple gun do you use? I need to buy a new one. Thanks for the great Instructable!

I use an arrow t-55 but a arrow t-50 would suffice. I use 3/8 inch staples with it, Just the first time I did a chair is all. I would only buy a arrow or stanley myself.

NickS2122 days ago

Helped me alot, thanks so much was worried about the corners.