Introduction: How to Remove PEX Crimp Rings and Pipe
PEX plumbing is really easy to install compared to copper plumbing. However removing the copper crimp rings and pipe is not as easy. This Instructable will cover how to remove the rings with some basic tools.
You will need the following:
- Needle Nose Pliers
- Flat head screwdriver
- Hacksaw or Dremel with a cut off disc or Mini Grinder with zip cut disc
- Heat source (blow torch, lighter, heat gun)
Step 1: Cut the Crimp Ring and Remove
First step is to cut the copper crimp ring with any number of tools, if there is room a hacksaw will work and if space is limited a Dremel with cut off disc is ideal. If you have a larger number of fittings to remove I find using a mini grinder with zip cut disc is super fast. This can be done in place or at your workbench. Careful not to cut into the brass barb fitting.
- Cut the ring perpendicular to the pipe
- Use a flat head screwdriver and place it between the cut and twist to open the crimp ring
- Using pliers bend to remove the crimp ring, or you can slide it off the pipe if the pipe end is not connected to anything.
Step 2: Heat and Remove the PEX Pipe
The barbs on the PEX fitting makes removing the pipe very hard, heating it makes it super easy.
Using your heat source, head the PEX pipe slowly, try to avoid burning the pipe. You just want to heat it up so it becomes soft and pliable so the pipe can be removed from the barbs of the fittings. With a twisting motion remove the pipe from the fitting. If the pipe is too short use pliers to pull and twist at the pipe, it should come off with very little effort.
Step 3: Video
Here is a video of the whole process.