In this tutorial, Im going to show you how to send information by LIGHT using Fiber Optics. Friends, Welcome to the 21st Century!
Some of you will be thinking, Why not use our good old friend Copper Wire? Friends, We all know light can travel
299,792,458 meters per second. Thats really, really fast. This can be very useful for High-Speed Internet (Man! I love that one!).
Enough of explaining, Lets get right on it!
Step 1: Getting Started! Materials & Other Stuff
1. 2 Arduinos - We will need 1 for transmitting Data, other one for receiving data.
2. Fiber Optic Cable - Search the internet! Dont get the 200$ one. Get one thats about under 50$
3. A LED - The brighter LED is, the better.
4. Photoresistor - We need to recieve the light right?
5. Two 22 Ohm Resistor - You'll need it to simplify data
6. Some wires - We will need a copper wire. Its ok. Its only few inches long :P
7. 2 Breadboards - Make thing simple!
8. Electrical Tape
9. Any Sensor of your choice! - You can use any sensor(Servos, Potentiometers, Ultrasonic Sensor, etc)!
1. Computer - We need to program our Microcontroller!
2. Arduino IDE - Download Right Here !
3. Some Time
Got all that? Lets start!
Step 2: Building the Reciever Circuit!!
You need to attach Resistor, LED, and Photoresistor like in the Circuit Diagram above.
Make sure to connect the right pin of the Arduino.
WARNING: MAKE SURE NO LIGHT IS LEAKING/EXPOSED TO THE PHOTORESISTOR