As the title says this instructable demonstrates how to solder individual solar cells together in preparation for building a solar panel.
First i need to give a few disclaimers:
1. Soldering irons are hot and will burn you if you are not careful. If you do not know how to solder you will need to learn how to first before attempting this project.
2. You need to have and understanding of basic electricity before attempting to work with solar panels. If you do not have this understanding have some one help you that does.
3. Tab wire and solar cells have sharp edges, they can cut you, be careful.
Now that the warnings are out of the way lets look at the items you will need. In the 2 pictures the items have a description of what each item is, but hear is also a list:
1.Soldering iron, there are many soldering irons out there but these are the ones I recommend:
A. Budget iron, it will get the job done but there are better and easier irons to use. Found Here
B. Mid range, its a little bulky but heavy duty and works well. Found Here
C. Top line, this is my most recommended. This one can be used all day and never quit. Found Here
2. Soldering iron stand
3. 2mm tabbing wire- pre solder coated. Found Here
4. 5mm tabbing wire- pre solder coated. Found Here
5. scissors. Found Here
6. ruler. Found Here
7. holding tool. Found Here
8. solder pen, Found Here
9. solder paste- only used to tin the solder iron. Found Here
10. solder wire- only used to tin the solder iron. Found Here
11. solar cells, this is an example of the kind of cells i work with. Found Here
12. electrical tape - not pictured. Found Here
Some of these components can be purchased in packages. Take some time and decide what size of panel or number of panels you are going to build and try to find a package with the amount of components you will need. Here are some examples: Package 1Package 2Package 3