Step 1: Have an (original) idea
Ideally, they should be any one or combination of the following:
- Silly fun ( Pillow Fight Club, [http://Spontaneous Musical Food Court Musical])
- Subversive ( Frozen Grand Central, Critical Mass, Belarusian Ice Cream Mob, Smile Mob)
- Costumed Rampage ( Santarchy, Zombie Mob, The Brides of March)
- Benignly disruptive ( ATM Applause Mob)
A wider range of people are more likely to join you if your event does not:
- Promote a profit-making enterprise
- Exalt a specific individual or group
- Cost much (if anything) to participate in
- Have overtly political overtones (then it's a demonstration, and you will get tear gassed)
Step 2: Timing is everything
If you are planning something more elaborate, like a Costumed Rampage, you want to give people at least a week to prepare, and preferably two. These events are most effective in heavily populated shopping and tourist areas, so Saturday afternoons work best. Note: these often turn into drunkfests.
Step 3: Get the word out
If your event is spontaneous in nature, you can:
- Create an anonymous email account (it's best that your event not have an easily identifiable leader) and send to 50 random people in your address book. Ask them to send it along to another 20 people.
- Post to bulletin boards like www.Craigslist.org. You can post to the Events board, or target a specific demographic by posting to specific discussion forums (kink, vegan, divorce, etc.).
- you can also use sites such as www.xflashmobs.com to sms message your mob to cell phones, but this will require that you establish a contact list, which isn't very spontaneous.
If your event is more elaborate:
- Post to local event calendars and discussion groups. The following are pretty good bets: