Introduction: How to Train Your Dog Using an Electric Collar
In this instructable, I will teach you how to train your dog with the use of an electric collar. An electric collar is a great way to train a dog because you're able to go past just the basic training. The end goal is to be able to have your dog off leash outside while still listening to you and your commands. I will be teaching you two commands during this tutorial- "sit" and a more advanced command, "place."
Not all electric collars are the same. There are many out there on the market. This specific collar is called an Electric Collar and can be found at ecollar.com or in my case, offleashk9training.com
Step 1: Materials
- Handheld remote control for electric collar
- Electric collar
- Long training leash
1. The Handheld Remote - This is used by the owner/trainer to operate the collar during training.
A. This button activates a continuous pulse on the collar.
B. This button activates a momentary pulse on the collar and is the main button used for training.
C. This knob turns and is used to change the strength of the pulse between 0 and 100.
D. This screen shows what strength the collar is set to and also lets you know that remote is working.
2. The Electric Collar - This is a collar that emits a pulse to the dog's neck during training. The prongs on the collar must be on the side of the dog's neck in order to stimulate the muscles in the neck. There is a green flashing light on the collar that indicates that the collar is turned on and charged.
3. Long Leash - It's important to use a long leash while training your dog with an electric collar because you'll need to give the dog some distance at times, and other times, the dog needs to be at your side.
4. Dog- You'll need a furry friend.
Step 2: Training Your Dog to "Sit"
Teaching your dog to sit is a great idea. It can be beneficial in many ways such as the example above, sitting for a picture. Sit can also be incorporated into many advanced tricks like "place" which I will be teaching you next.
What You'll Need
- Turn both the remote and the collar on and tighten the collar around your dogs neck.
- Put the remote in your right hand with the screen facing into your palm, your index finger between the knob and the antenna, and your thumb to the other side of the knob.
- Attach the leash to your dogs collar and walk away from your dog about half leash length.
- Run the leash through your right hand between the remote and your palm for guidance while holding the rest of the leash in your left hand allowing you to pull your dog toward you.
- Say your dog's name, say come, and pull the leash with your left hand until your dog is by your side.
- Give the command "sit" once your dog is by your side, while simultaneously pushing its butt down with your left hand.
- Allow your dog to break out of sit and walk around.
- All at the same time:
- Give the command "sit."
- Click the button "B" (as shown in the picture at the top).
- Push your dog's butt down with your left hand all at the same time.
Step 3: Training Your Dog to "Place"
Place is my favorite command to teach a dog as it has numerous advantages. Not only does it train your dog to sit or stand on any object that you want, but it trains your dog to sit or stand in the same place over an extended period of time. An example of this which I've used many time is bringing your dog to a ball game while off-leash. I clearly want to watch the ball game the whole time rather than my dog and knowing that he/she will be in the same place is very assuring.
What You'll Need
- Elevated Surface such as a low chair
- Put the collar around your dogs neck.
- Put the remote in your right hand as instructed in "Training Your Dog To "Sit."
- Run the leash through your right hand between the remote and your palm and hold the leash about a foot from your dog's neck.
- Place the elevated surface by your feet and have your dog come to your side.
- Give the command "place" and point to the elevated surface with your left hand and pull the leash in the direction of the elevated surface with your right hand.
- Allow your dog to get off of the elevated surface.
- All at the same time:
- Give the command "place."
- Pull your dog toward the surface and click the "B" button with your right hand.
- Point to the surface with your left hand.