Building a cold frame is easy!
The following is a brief explanation on how to build a cold frame and on how to prepare the soil for your winter garden.
Step 1: Initial Considerations
Step 2: Building Your Cold Frame
2. Construct a wooden frame that fits your window frame. Make the back of the frame higher than the front. Remember to use non-decomposing wood.
3. Attach the window frame to the wooden frame using heavy duty hinges.
Step 3: How to Prepare the Soil
1. Use a shovel to dig out small squares of the top soil. The area you dig will eventually be the same as the size of the cold frame.
2. Sift squares through a wire screen to filter out usable soil. Discard grass and rocks.
3. Then use a pitchfork to aerate the sub-soil.
4. Mix compost with the sub-soil.
5. Put the freshly filtered top soil back on the sub-soil.
6. Mix compost with the top soil.
7. Finally place your cold frame on top.