I wanted some extra storage to get my lawn mower and other tools out of the garage and also give me some extra room for my stuff. I chose to go ahead and construct it myself instead of a pre-fab one as I just didn't like the pre-fab quality or for that matter the price of those offered at the retail big stores, I noticed a similar sized shed for nearly $4k at a big-box store, I won't name them but the color orange is part of their logo ;).
When I was younger I was a part-time framing carpenter so I decided to strike out on my own and see what I could come up with. I chose a shed size of 10' X 12'. I did a LOT of research online, went over a LOT of plans and in the end I wound up combining many ideas into this shed. I also decided that I wanted a cement floor. In most cases this would increase the cost of your building by up to $1000 depending on if you pour it yourself and do all of the work or if you have a contractor do it for you. I decided to talk with a local cement company and they put me in contact with someone that would do the work for me and since I also like to do things the easiest way I chose this route so my flooring cost me a total of $400 total! Yeah I and my wife was quite happy about this. I also chose not to include rebar in the concrete, I instead went with the fiber system that I discussed with the concrete company, it made the cost a little more but it is "supposed" to work just as well so I guess I'll find out in a few years.
In this first picture I have let the slab dry about two weeks as it had been rainy anyways and I began this on a Saturday and would do something to it most every weekend. I completed the shed on July 4th weekend and the only help I had was my oldest daughter helping me hold up a wall or hand something up to me on occasion.
The first thing I did was to measure and pop a chalk line of where my bottom plate would sit so that I could drill holes for the anchors to go through. A vandal who shall remain anonymous (wife) decided to commemorate the new construction project. While I know it's not "required" I did use "sill seal" (I think that's what it's called) on the bottom plate to help keep out water/bugs etc. It was pink and is the same width as the lumber.
Lastly, I also chose to have the anchor bolts put in the concrete while it was being poured so I wouldn't have to drill them later on which I always recommend. The one caveat that I didn't do at the time was install a french drain system around the concrete slab, After 2 years I have noticed that water does tend to gather near the slab, also this gives weeds a chance to grow up inside the building but and I will be installing this type of drainage soon to solve this issue.
The final cost of building this shed was under $1500 including the floor. Taking into consideration I didn't shell out the money all at once and built it in pieces it wasn't too traumatic to the wallet. The next thing I want to do is run electricity to the shed but that will be in a different instructable.
Step 1: The First Wall...
Most of the framing that I did was from wood that I purchased from a "seconds" store. The wood itself had nothing really wrong with it, it just hadn't been completely dried before being sold. I also bought the studs in standard 8' lengths and just cut them down to standard 92 5/8" length.
I made a window hole that I will keep covered up with siding for now but later on I will just use my router to just cut out the hole and already have the window frame ready to go.
The last pic in this step shows that you need to be sure and have your wall anchored or have someone help hold it up. I did both ;) You should have yourself some extra stakes driven into the ground pretty well so they can help hold up the walls whenever you are ready to raise them and nail them together.