I was given lots of parts of bicycles and as as none of them were any good or complete I decided to uses up all the parts that I could to make something beautiful.
I used two mountain bike frames and an extra sets of forks ( three in total) and a bmx back wheel.
I made it up as I went along and it was lots of fun.
I used an arc welder (stick welder) which is not ideal for bike frames but if you don't mind burning a few holes into the frames then it is ok; a Mig or acetylene welder would be easy peasy.
My welding is not so good so I jumped around on the frame before riding the bike to make sure that it was safe.
It rides like a dream.
The first step shows everything in an animation form ( this is also in the film) and then the subsequent steps show more detail.
Here is the video ( which is essentially someone riding the bike around in circles for 1 minute and eight seconds); enjoy.
Step 2: The Forks.
I took my second pair of forks ( No. 2) and cut them top and bottom as shown, as shown.
I cut the drop-out ends off the original forks.
I slid the No.2 forks onto the original forks and welded them on.
I took another set of forks (No.3) and cut them at the top and slid and welded them onto fork No.2.
I thought that it would be a good idea to put a brace across the forks for strength.
Unfortunately I had no metal at all; I used the front chainset from frame number 2 and welded it across; it looks rather stylish.
Step 3: The Back Part of the Frame.
The frame 2 was positioned in the original frame; the bottom bracket between the rear drop-outs and the seat stays nestled around the bottom bracket.
I ran a bolt through frame 2's bottom bracket to hold it tight for welding.
I persuaded frame 2's seat stays to curve around the original frame's bottom bracket with a hammer.
It was then welded at those points.
Step 4: Other Easy Bits.
The rear de-railer was removed and the chain was lengthened using the chain from frame 2.
The front de-railer was kept as a rudimentary chain guard.
I now strive to, however stupid the bike, to have at least one good working brake.
I removed the cantilever brake arms from the original forks and put them onto No.3 forks.
These were connected to the brake lever by using a rear inner brake cable which is longer than a standard front one,( the outer cable length is not affected.)
This would be as easy with V-brakes ( but you would have to change both the inner and outer cable for long ones).
This project was a huge amount fun and many people have ridden it.
It's very easy to ride although, as you may have seen, my friend did an impression of a sack of potatoes being thrown down the stairs when she tried; she was unharmed apart from a sore leg.