The basic principle is this: Take a stack of packaging foam sheets, cut a hole into it, stick a light bulb in and you're done. However, one important thing is VENTILATION, which is the focus of the last step of this instructable.
I will not give precise dimensions but explain my considerations that led me to the result shown below and will enable you to built your lamp to your liking.
Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or comments.
Step 1: Materials and Tools
Packaging foam or anything you think might work:
- not too sensitive to heat.
- try to do a test whether you like the tint the light has after it has passed through it
- amount: enough to create a stack of your liking that is able to house the fixture, the bulb, some free space above the bulb and a couple of top layers.
- I got one with already a plug and a switch attached.
- It also had some screw-on ring that helped fix it to one of the foam sheets.
- a CFL light bulb works fine.
- it is imperative, that it has LOW wattage (mine has something like 15 Watts)
Some cardboard to use as a mat for cutting
ruler and pen
and an assortment of round things like cups, pans, etc to use as stencils.