Step 1: What you'll need
- X-Acto knife
- Serrated pumpkin carving knives (smaller knives for fine detail are best, and can be found in the over the counter pumpkin carving kits at most stores)
- Edged scooper (for scraping out the inside of your pumpkin)
- Paper and pencil (for pattern)
- Small finely tipped nail (for poking holes while transferring pattern to pumpkin)
- Sharpie or ball point pen (for pattern tracing)
- Dremel or grinding tool (to remove some pumpkin flesh)
- small fluorescent lamp (for lighting pumpkin)
Step 2: Choose an idea
With this in mind Iron Man was perfect, as he actually HAS lights on his suit that would play well with the internal lighting of a pumpkin.
The picture below is the original picture used that I based my design on.
* Photo credit: Marvel Comics, found via Google search for "Iron Man side".