Apple Service, and an original apple RAM for what matters, are quite expensive.
It is really useful if you can do the change or upgrade yourself - and it is easy!!!
Just be careful if it is the first time you do so, be gentle...
- Cheaper or 2nd hand RAMs are available online in multiple platforms.
Check the video if you want to "see" the process. happening.
Step 1: Dismantling, Replacing, Putting It Together
Follow the pictures / video steps.
It should take between 5 and 15min, depending on your expertise.
Essentially. A macbook is screwed together. Even "unibody"s are screwed together.
- Find a screwdriver that fits those small screws and be gentle with them - you don't want to break them. (Tip: keep all the screws in the same place or container, such as an emply glass of water.. you'll need them!)
- Notice that there are 3 longer ones - remember where they were screwed.
- Remove the cover, and locate the RAM slots.
- Gently remove the original RAM from the slot - you will need to "open" the slots a little, there are plastic bars that can be gently open wide, and the RAM should just "pop out". Simply help them, and then remove them.
- Place the new RAM in those slots.
- Put the cover back, and don't forget to screw each screw at each place!
You're the prowd owner of an upgraded MacBook now!