Step 1: What You'll Need
- An Olfa cutter (or any craft knife you're used to)
- Super glue
- A precision philips screwdriver
Step 2: Remove the Outer Ring
- With the craft knife, start to unglue the ring from the side buttons. It's glued to the body at different points, so every once in a while you'll hear a snap of the glue coming loose.
- Carefully work your way around the base until the whole thing is free. It will seem very hard around the bottom part especially, but eventually it will come loose.
Be extra careful and take your time. The ring is fragile and flexible, so try not to bend it while doing this, or you'll end up with something like this.
Step 3: Crack It Open
This is where that retaining ring would be holding the cord to the body, but as we've already removed it, the parts are independent, except for the inner cables.
- Carefully unplug the two inner cables by pushing out the black jumper that holds them in.
Step 4: Release the Ball
- Unscrew the black cover that holds the scroll ball.
- Unsnap the inner piece from the black cover, by pushing in the locks on the side.
- Take out the center piece from the metal case and unsnap it apart.
Step 5: Clean =D
- Clean the ball if you need to and place it back.
- Now just put everything back together until you're left with the mouse and that unglued retaining ring.
Step 6: Glue Back the Ring
So what you need is only a couple of drops of super glue to keep the ring fixed. One on each diagonal edge of the base.
A few moments to dry and your Mighty Mouse is mighty again!