I am not an experienced or trained climber. Don't tell me that I'm not either. I'm only showing you how to climb how I like to climb. It is the easiest, most relaxing, simplest way.
WEAR A HELMET (I didn't)
It is divided into 6 steps.
2. Getting the rope into the tree
3. The harness
4. The knots
6. Getting back down
_-_ -_ -_ -_ -_ -_-_ -_ -_-_ -_ -_-_ -_ -_
|ALL VIDEOS ARE EMBEDED |
|THE HARNESS VIDEO IS here: http://www.instructables.com/id/SV072LCFV4LS8QN/
|-_ -_ -_-_ -_ -_-_ -_ -_-_ -_ -_-_ -_ -_- |
Step 1: Equipment
1. Have at least one locking carabiner. Make sure you have one that is made for climbing! The ones that I have cost $7 each, bought at REI. They can hold 25kN (That's about 5,600 pounds)
2. Have about 15 feet of 3/4 inch rope. This will be used for the harness. It is important that is thick, because this makes for a more comfortable, satisfying harness (Unless you have a real harness)
3. Depending on the height of your tree, you will need rope that is as long as twice the height of the tree. (Use equation below) I didn't use real climbing rope, but I recommend that you do. The rope I have can hold 350 pounds. It gets the job done.
h = height of tree
r = length of rope needed
r = 2h + 10 (IE. 30' tall tree = at least 70' of rope)
4. A tree of course! Make sure that it is some sort of oak. Oaks are very strong, large trees, with few branches at their bases.
Find a good-sized tree that is about 25-50' tall. My tree is about 30'. (I would also find a tree that isn't over a cement driveway)