Step 1: Tools and Materials:
- You will need a stick, wide enough to drill conveniently. I used an actual stick, but you could use a short length of thick dowel or broom handle.
- You will also need a length of dowelling that is conveniently narrower than the stick. I used 3mm bamboo.
- A vital part of this puzzle is a narrow rubber band. The length isn't important.
- Drill (I got a new stand, which makes things a lot easier!), and a drill-bit slightly larger than the dowel. With the 3mm dowel I used a 5mm twist-bit.
- Glue - I used PVA, but you could use hot-glue if you're the impatient type.
- Sharp knife (ah, good old multi-tool).
- Wood-shaping stuff - rasp, file, sandpaper.
- A vice is useful, but not vital.
Step 2: The Stick.
It is about 2cm thick (nearly an inch), and about 8cm long (about 31/2 inches).
The ends are cut off square and sanded lightly.
Drill a hole through the centre of the stick, all the way through.
You may need to turn your stick around to get all the way through - be careful to line up the holes at each end.
Step 3: The top of the stick.
Then, with the wood-shaping tools, cut, rasp, file and sand the end of the stick into a nice smooth dome-shape. You will find it a lot easier to brace the stick in a vice to file and sand it.
Do not go past the line you just marked.
When you have a nice smooth dome, decapitate the stick - cut the domed end off at the line.