Probably some of you listen to audio contents or shows from web radios by Real Audio Player or Real Audio Plug-in of the web browser.
These files are often broadcasted as streaming, but usually it is not possible to download them for off-line listening.
In this instructable I explain how to download a Real Audio streaming and transform it into a MP3 file, suitable for listening on computers and MP3 players, or burning to audio CD.
Some of the software used in this instructable is in Italian language, so the menu and functions represented in the pictures may not correspond to your software. I hope this will not limit the understanding of the instructable.
This instructable takes some useful information from the following sources:
on Swen's Weblog. Very detailed explanations and many tips there in.
on Giubot's Weblog. A short but clear explanation about alternative strategies for downloading and recording (in Italian).
Step 1: Software
- First method, based on Flashget. This is the most direct procedure.
- Second method, based on Real7time. This is an alternative if the first method does not work
- Third method, based on Audacity. This is the final solution if the previous methods do not work.
Please notice that THE PROCEDURE AND THE SOFTWARE THAT I SUGGEST ARE NOT THE UNIQUE WAY to obtain MP3 from Real Audio streaming. Alternative software to accomplish the same task is available. Nevertheless the purpose of this instructable is just to explain a direct and simple procedure.
What is needed
For this instructable you need a Windows PC with and some additional software listed below.
This instructable uses Open Source software, FreeWare, and Free versions of commercial software.
- RealPlayer software or RealPlayer Plug-in. This is probably already installed if you use to listen to Real Audio streaming. Free version available.
- FlashGet, an efficient download manager
- NCH Switch, free audio file converter
The NCH audio suite is a commercial solution for handling and processing of audio files. A free version is available. Some of the tools of the free version expire after a while, but the Switch conversion tool does not expire.
- Real7time, recorder for audio e video streamings.
Audacity, a great open-source software to record and modify sounds